Historic Gulf Cemetery is a State of Florida
Heritage Site Marker
The Florida Historical Marker Program recognizes historic resources, persons and events that are significant in the areas of architecture, archaeology, Florida history and traditional culture by promoting the placing of historic markers and plaques at sites of historical and visual interest to visitors.
Mission Statement (What we are supposed to be doing?):
To preserve a dignified and peaceful resting place that memorializes the departed and honors their families, paying special tribute to interred veterans and fostering a sense of duty and patriotism in our community for generations to come.
The acrostic “P.L.O.T.S.” serves to remind us of our mission and values/goals as members of the Gulf Cemetery Association:
P – Preserve the Place
L – Link with Community
O – Observe the Fallen
T – Teach the Next Generation
S – Serve with Integrity
Values/Goals (What are our priorities?):
- Preserve the Natural Setting of the Cemetery
- Honor the Veterans both Living and Deceased
- Maintain the Spirit of Volunteerism from the Past to the Future
- Magnify the Presence of the Cemetery in Our Community
Purpose Statement (Why are we doing it?):
This statement would be built off the established values and goals. Although it may echo some of the same things in the mission statement, it primarily seeks to identify the reasons for doing what we do.
- To sustaining the legacy of the cemetery for years to come
- To convey its importance in our local and national history
- To foster a sense of responsibility to remember our fallen, esp. veterans
- To maintain a spirit of volunteerism
2020 Vision (Where are we headed?)
This is constantly in flux as we move forward, but it would be helpful to look anywhere from 6-18 months ahead in our vision. Where do we see ourselves going in that time? It keeps us on track and we can reassess along the way to ensure we are aligned with your mission and values.
- Increase visibility through communication and social media presence
- Engage community and enlist more volunteers
- Increase Involvement of Younger Generations (intergenerational approach)
The Gulf Cemetery Association (GCA) is a non-profit organization comprised of non-paid volunteers from the local community who serve on its board of directors and financially steward and oversee operations, maintenance, and administration of Historic Gulf Cemetery.
The GCA mission is to preserve the cemetery as a dignified and peaceful resting place that memorializes the departed and honors their families, paying special tribute to interred veterans and fostering a sense of duty and patriotism in our community for generations to come.
The goals of the Gulf Cemetery Association are, as follows (using the PLOTS acronym):
Preserve the Place
- Preserve the natural setting of the cemetery
- Provide a dignified, final resting place for the departed
Link with Community
- Educate the community about the cemetery and its services
- Enlist community support volunteer and support the GCA effort
Observe the Fallen
- Honor all veterans interred at the cemetery
- Remember those died while serving in uniform
Teach the Next Generation
- Maintain healthy relationships among local church/parachurch ministers
- Foster an allied ministry front among SWMA Membership
Serve with Integrity
- Cultivate esprit de corps among GCA Board
- Collaborate leadership efforts with synergistic effects
- Continue the heritage of fiduciary responsibility from past to future